Who needs an attorney for service

A foreign corporation seeking to register in Canada or a domestic Canadian corporation seeking to register in another province as an extra-provincial corporation must designate a person resident in that province to accept service of legal documents. Service on the agent amounts to service of the document in question on the corporation.

An Attorney for Service is an individual appointed by an extra-provincial corporation to represent itself in the province of registration. The Attorney for Service does not need to be a Lawyer. This is just an individual within Canada that has been appointed by the extra-provincial corporation.

Examples of who should hire an attorney for service include:

Companies that need to register extra provincially in a province different from its home jurisdiction.
Foreign companies with Canadian based subsidiaries
Corporations that do not have a physical address in Canada
Business owners who travel
Business owners who are not consistent with dealing with correspondence
Corporations that are home based

What if I do not have an Attorney for Service?

For a yearly fee of $1.500, Extra-Provincial corporations appoint us at Company Formations as their Attorney for Service in Canada. That way Company Formation takes on the responsibilities of Corporate Governance for your extra-provincial registration.

For more information about our Attorney for Service solutions, please contact us, using the form below:

If you have any general questions, feedback or other inquiries, contact us and a customer service representative will gladly assist you.

* indicates required field