Keeping your Corporation in Good Standing: Filing an Annual Return

The Annual Return is a document that provides information about your corporation. This information lets Corporations Canada make sure that your corporation complies with certain requirements of the CBCA. It also allows Corporations Canada to maintain its database of federal corporations.

Every corporation must submit an Annual Return every year to Corporations Canada within 60 days after its anniversary date. The anniversary date is the date the corporation was created or the date the corporation first came under the jurisdiction of the CBCA (i.e. The date of incorporation, amalgamation or continuance). For a corporation that has been revived, the anniversary date remains the date it was created (i.e. the date of incorporation, amalgamation or continuance). For the purposes of filing the Annual Return, the anniversary date consists of the month and day of the month.

Company Formations helps federal and provincial corporations prepare their annual corporate returns online. This service will allow you to file your Annual Report online.

All corporations must file an annual return with the appropriate government department or agency The purpose of the Annual Return is to update your corporate records. The return covers such items as name of corporation, registered office address, corporation number, financial year end and a description of the main type of business. It also communicates any changes of your registered office or corporate directors, if applicable. The date of your last annual meeting and whether the corporation has ever distributed its securities to the public are also required.

The annual return must be filed within the prescribed dates and must be accompanied by the government filing fee. The dates and fees vary depending on the jurisdiction.

Company Formations will send the annual return directly to the government department or agency on your behalf.

If a corporation fails to file an annual return within the prescribed delay, a penalty fee may be imposed. If a corporation repeatedly fails to file its annual returns (typically for 2 consecutive years), the government department or agency may remove the corporation from the government records. If a corporation has been struck from government records, the corporation may be affected in a variety of ways. To re-register the corporation must typically bring its annual filings up to date and pay a penalty fee.


File now online your Annual Return. fast, Easy, Online